Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fruit Fly issues...

My kitchen has been overun by fruit flies now that warm weather ( and ripe fruit) abound. I try to keep my fruit in the fridge since I like to eat it cold but I need ot sometimes leave some out at room temp to finish ripening. The flies go nutts over it as well as any dirty dishes in the sink. I try to keep up but even when theres 1 cereal bowl from the kids breakfast in there its just coated with those tiny red bugs. I was looking online to try and find some sort of non toxic trap, but I refuse to pay $10 each plus shipping. So instead I made DIY yeast traps using the instructions on this site:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/FruitFlyTrap.shtml

so simple I dont know why I didnt think of something similar by using overripe fruit in a jar- if the yeast doesnt lure them I'll try that next.

No comments: