Sunday, March 22, 2009

Aphids

bah, I went outside to pick some mint and it was just coated in green and black aphids. wtf! There wasnt a single one 2 days ago!

so in a panic I went and checked on my precious lettuce box greens, and sure enough, they all had a smattering of fat winged aphids with little broods of baby ones. In less then 48 hours. Geez that was quick! I had been seriously considering making wire 'hoop houses' with netting over the windowboxes to keep the bugs out, I guess I should have acted faster.

I'm going to try and make some DIY spray using crushed tomato leaves first, and if that doesnt work a homemade garlic spray. In the past I usually just reached for the Safer organic bug spray, but I am trying very hard to practice what I preach LOL.

2 comments:

Sinfonian said...

Eek, go get it done. Good luck with your bugs. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

SuburbanGardener said...

Cindy, I always look forward to your blog. You have fans!!!! Please write more more more. If you throw in a wtf every so often, it really makes me chuckle.
Suburban Gardener.